There are several things you must know before coming to React Finland. Read on to learn more.
The conference will be held at Paasitorni, a historic building in Siltasaari, near the center of Helsinki. Paasitorni is a gorgeous Art Noveue building that in past served as Worker's House. On 24th, several meeting rooms will be used for the workshops. On 25th and 26th, the big congress hall will be the main conference location.
The Venue Location#
- Blue star - Paasitorni, Paasivuorenkatu 5 A - Main venue
- Red train - Main railway station - Likely you will arrive here from the airport
- Purple drink - Tiivistämö, Kaasutehtaankatu 1 - Friday afterparty
Where to Stay?#
- Hotel F6 - Roughly 160€ per night.
- Omena Hotels - Roughly 60-80€ per night. Minimal service. Two separate hotels.
- Kongressikoti Hotel - Roughly 60€ per night.
- Hostel Diana Park - Roughly 30€ per night.
How to Get to the Venue?#
There's a direct train from the airport to Helsinki center. HSL operates the local public transport system. You can find a city bike system as well. From city center, take a tram or metro to Hakaniemi.
To get to the center for airport, you can use train, Finnair buses or taxi. It seems that nowadays there might be some fake taxis, so use reliable taxi services like TaksiHelsinki, Lahitaksi, Kovanen or FixuTaxi. Note that taxis are very expensive in Helsinki.
What to Take with You?#
- A swimming suit.
- A towel.
- A laptop. The first two are needed only if you go to sauna and swim.
How to Follow the Conference Program?#
- Use the site schedule.
- Use the mobile applications (Android, iPhone).
- Subscribe to the conference calendar. You can import it to your Google Calendar for example.
How to Prepare for a Workshop?#
To start your workshop as quick and as smooth as possible, it's a good idea to spend some time beforehand. Make sure to install at least the following software to your laptop:
- Git 2.0, or newer
- Node.js 10.0, or newer
- npm 6.0, or newer. Consider using either n or nvm for managing the version.
node --version, and
npm --versionto check versions you have installed.
You should check your workshop requirements for any further requirements. Usually a workshop has a Git repository related to it. Check the workshop description for a link. If there's one, make sure you set it up while you perform the work above.
When Can I Register?#
Registration is possible in any of the conference days. The desk will be close to the entrance of the venue.
What Should I Know About Finland?#
- We speak Finnish, English, and Swedish (poorly most often). Check out our brief guide to Finnish in order to surprise the locals.
- We use euro as our currency.
- Our electricity network standard voltage is 230 V (50 Hz). The socket style is type F (Schuko) (symmetrical and looks like pig snout). It accepts plug C and E too.
- Finland is generally considered a safe country. Do not try to go past people in the grill queue, through, as that's a common way to find yourself in a trouble.
- Finland has around 5.5 million residents. To give you a comparison point, that's about 1.5 times the population of Berlin spread around the area of whole Finland (roughly the size of Germany).