React Finland 2020 - Online Workshops and Mini-Conference
As mentioned in the previous post, we've postponed the physical portion of React Finland 2020 to the next year. That said, we'll run most of the workshops online close to the original dates. In addition, we'll begin to run a monthly mini-conference session starting from 28th of May.
2020 - Online Workshops#
Although the easiest move would have been to cancel all the workshops and return money for all of them, we found a compromise with many of the workshop trainers. We decided to forfeit our portion of the workshop ticket price (50%) and we'll subtract only the portion going to the ticket platform from the proceedings going to the trainers.
Doing this is fair given we were unable to hold to our commitment of physical logistics. As a bonus, it allows us to offer the workshops in a particularly good price.
We've restricted each workshop between 20 and 30 people depending on the amount of trainers. In some cases the sessions have been split over two days so it's potentially easier to fit them to your schedule.
I know scheduling wasn't flawless this time and there are several unfortunate overlaps. That said, I hope we can run more workshops over the year as we learn how to do this efficiently.
In total, we have seven workshops from which to choose:
- Advanced React - Nik Graf - 26.05 - 09:00-16:00
- From Legacy to React - Kenigbolo Meya Stephen - 25-26.05 - 10:00-14:00
- Modern Forms with React - Erik Rasmussen - 25-26.05 - 15:00-19:00
- Modeling React Applications with Statecharts - David Khourshid - 26-27.05 - 15:00-19:00
- Design Systems 101 - Andrey Okonetchnikov and Varya Stepanova - 25.05 - 11:00-18:00
- Design Systems for React Developers - Andrey Okonetchnikov and Artem Sapegin - 26.05 - 11:00-18:00
- Resilient Component Libraries with React - Andrey Okonetchnikov and Artem Sapegin - 27.05 - 11:00-18:00
The prices are fixed to 199-249 € depending on the workshop. In case you buy two, you'll receive a 10% discount. For three or more, 20% discount will apply.
The workshops vary based on topic and expected experience level. Check out the full workshop descriptions to learn more.
- All times are given in Finnish time so please adjust accordingly
From a Physical Workshop to an Online Workshop#
If you have already bought a ticket to a workshop, you have likely received a message about possible transfer. You can move a workshop ticket to its online version or to another workshop. We'll refund 50% of your workshop ticket price.
In case you want to do this and you missed my initial query, please send me email with your preference and order number in it and I'll do the rest. In case you don't want to move to the online version, we'll refund you fully at the end of May without asking.
28.05 17:00-21:00 - The First Online React Finland Mini-Conference#
The wheels are in motion to organize the first online React Finland mini-conference. It will take place 28th of May 17:00-21:00 (Finnish time). The specification is as follows:
- There will be three talks (up to 30 minutes per each)
- The topics will be related to the original conference schedule and we'll negotiate with the original speakers but don't expect to see everyone online due to other commitments.
- We'll run a QA session with the talk speakers
- The talk videos will be available to the public later
- We'll iterate and try to find a good way to serve the Finnish and international community with our events.
If you decided to move your conference ticket to the next year, you'll have free access to the online events (8 in total planned). If you want to take part in the live event, the first one is available for 30 € introductory price and the income goes towards covering the cost of the production.
I hope you'll take part in our workshops and the first online mini-conference. It's an exciting time for us as conference organizers as it's forcing us to a new direction. At the same time we hope to live our goal of serving the community in these challenging times.